How can the New Zealand Government secure a stronger Pacific cooperation?
In light of the newly discovered seabed minerals and the analysis put forward, the overall policy advice to be extracted is as follows:
- A common legal framework for the Pacific region should be developed and applied to all states within the PIF
- More focus should be put on how to strategically make use of government investment to level out national differences throughout the Pacific region
- More efforts should be put into the diffusion of knowledge in the education system as well as in the working force of the region
- A more goal-oriented governmental investment strategy should target a closer cooperation with companies specializing in sustainable energy development and agricultural niche products.
- Putting seabed mining on top of the regional economic agenda could be a stepping stone towards successful regional economic interdependency as coal and steel were in the build up of the EU.